Sunday, September 2, 2012

Gregory Lake - Nuwara Eliya

Gregory lake is located about one kilometer away from Nuwara Eliya town. The governor Gregory built it during the year 1874. It is believed that the main intention of building this lake is to generate electricity to the town.

It is one of the main tourist spots of the town. It’s a beautiful experience to see the sun set at one end and the lake at another. It’s a breathtaking view.  You can also go boating and rowing. The price to hire a boat is around Rs.1000/person. However, if you’re a foreigner, unfortunately you may be charged much more.

There are things to do around the lake. You can go for horse riding, we were charged around Rs.1000 for a big round around the lakeside. It’s probably cheaper for children. This is a good time to practice your negotiating skills :)

Went here in an evening. The view is really amazing. Can hire a bike for 100Rs and ride along the lake (about 1.5km). Cheap tickets as it's 100Rs only for a tourist and 30Rs for a local. Must see place if you visit Nuwara Eliya. 

What I enjoyed the most was the balloon ride in the lake, something I’d never seen anywhere else. They unzipped a huge plastic balloon, I went inside and they inflated the balloon. Finally, they pushed the balloon and I was floating in the lake. I felt I was in my own little secluded world, you can’t hear any noise from outside. I had to push my balloon to move. However, towards the end of the ride, I realized that my balloon had a tiny leak and my clothes got slightly wet! The other balloons didn't have this problem though.

Two children are usually allowed in one balloon. The cost of the balloon ride is Rs.1,500 per. person. Again, for foreigners, it might vary. Make sure that you leave all your valuables behind (watches, bangles, etc) if you want to go on the ride.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Google Analytics Alternative